Expert waste & environmental consultancy services
Local Govt & LATCo's
Not for Profit + 3rd sector
One on One with Leaders
What we do
We work with Local Authorities and commercial businesses to assist with delivering strategic plans and operational challenges. Environmental Services was established to provide a range of expert waste and environmental consultancy services in an ever-changing environmental context.
What we do best
Climate change is demanding us to ask questions of what we do and how we do things differently to reduce our environmental impact. Local Authorities provide many services directly to their communities that have an impact on the environment, from the management of parks and open spaces through to collecting recyclable and waste products and keeping our streets clean. This area of environmental management operates in a highly competitive market place and we are ideally placed to offer support to both local authorities directly and those organisations that sell their services to local authorities.
We help with
Setting up Local Authority Trading Companies
Procurement of Operational Services
Procured recycling & waste collection contract. Including:
- Wrote contract specification to include additional services such as food waste collections.
- Tender evaluation including interviews with short-listed contractors.
- Assisting in the drafting of the committee report to Council Members.
- Delivered improvement in recycling performance. in excess of 50%.
Oxford City Council
Successfully lead in-house team through market test exercise, as:
- The council technical lead in Competitive Dialogue process with external bid teams.
- Service review that delivered reduction in annual operational costs of c£800k.
- Implemented service re-designed based on the Service Review.
- KPI for annual recycling performance improved from 37% to 50%.
- Technical advice & support in procurement of Materials Reclamation Facility contract.
LB of Hounslow
Created several LATCo’s and transitioned services including:
- Recycling and waste collection service to Council residents.
- Operating state-of the-art facility for sort and prep of recyclable materials for sale.
- Writing and presenting LATCo Business Plans to develop the new LATCo organisations.
- Working jointly with the Council to establish clear governance arrangements.
- Providing the Executive Lead on the LATCo Group Board.
- Creation of new LATCo following collapse of Carillion, operational within 6 weeks of collapse.
- Sustained or improved on service standards whilst reducing costs by £1.4m p.a
Reduction in annual operational costs
Reduction in annual service costs
Improvement on annual recycling performance
More case studies
Critical friend for review of strategic bids, including:
- Review of bid processes for Recycling, Waste & Street Cleansing contracts.
- Review of the commercial and pricing strategy deployed within bids & tenders.
- Review of bid submissions and presentations to ensure they meet tender requirements
- Proposed changes to key documentation, presentation content and structure.
Provision of interim management support, including:
- Day to day management of the waste collection and recycling services.
- Problem solving the impacts of a major service change in respect of the contract.
- Preparation and presentation of new suite of recycling and waste collection policies.
- Develop working arrangements with the successful awarded contractor.
- Project manage introduction of new recycling collection to flats & communal developments.
LB of Redbridge
Delivered specialist H&S support to new LATCo set up, including:
- Instructed 6 weeks prior to new Local Authority Trading Company going live.
- Reviewed existing provision and introduced comprehensive H&S Management System.
- H&S Management System had to achieve Board ‘assurance’ and sign off before go live.
- Delivered a comprehensive H&S training programme to refresh, reinforce workforce.
- Provided training capability to supervision team thru ‘Train the Trainer’ programme.
- Supported implementation of new Health & Management System.
- Continue to provide retainer H&S support to newly formed arms length LATCo.
CEO & Client Partner Lead
Farooq brings experience across four decades in major roles from leading ‘business development’ teams for blue chip companies such as Centrica & KIER, to leading teams in local government. That together with his current experience as Adviser to central government, provides for invaluable expertise having worked ‘both sides’ of the contracting divide and understanding how help clients overcome challenges and achieve success.
Lead, Public Sector
Dave leads public sector projects, including the bringing of outsourced public services back under LA control. Previously Dave established and headed up several LATCo’s as MD in West London. Dave has over 30 years of experience in strategic and operational Environmental Services management. Dave is an influential professional within his industry with a proven track record of designing and implementing successful change initiatives, combined with excellent project management skills.
We help clients with their requirement using our expert skills, knowledge and experience in the Environmental Services industry. This help can include many different areas including the following:
- Supporting the design, development and implementation of Local Authority Trading Companies covering elements ranging from designing the governance arrangements through to providing Health & Safety expertise, Operational Design, In-sourcing support, etc. This can include human resources from operational support through to interim support, recruitment for leadership roles including Board level search non-exec and executive roles.
- Procurement Consultancy Support – For either the Restricted or Competitive Dialogue routes, preparation of contract documents, managing the evaluation process through to supporting the drafting of relevant committee reports.
- Provision of Interim Management using our access to experienced professionals covering the range of environmental services from operational level through to strategic.
- Operational service reviews to independently assess the quality and efficiency of services provided.
Sign up to The Snapshot
Your quickfire newsletter on all things esp in under 60 seconds!
Whitepapers & best practice.
New services & promotions
Strictly interesting mail.